Image Map

Thursday, October 29, 2009

World Series, Game 1

Its Mark again. As Chelsea mentioned, we most likely would have been scheduled to have Chase this week.....and YES, I had circled the calendar months ago and was all set to watch the World Series with him in the hospital. We watched the 2002 Winter Olympics in the hospital when Kendyll was born, the 2004 Summer Olympics when Carlie was born....and we can't remember what we watched with Abby Kate (it was something good though AK, I promise). A tradition of sorts for me and my way of immediate bonding with my new kiddos!

Anyway, it was supposed to be the Dodgers vs. Yankees this year, just like it was in 1981, when I was 6 years old, idolized Steve Garvey, and the Dodgers beat the Yankees! Chase and I would have "assumed the position" on the teal green, fake leather couch, that Presby Dallas has in their maternity floor rooms....and I would have told him about his Pops and Great Grandad going to the 1959 World Series at the LA Colesium - Dodgers vs. White Sox! I would have told about his Grandma (and not his Daddy) getting to go to Game 1 of the 1988 World Series at Dodgers Stadium, when Kirk Gibson hit his famous HR, and that I had chosen to go to Game 2 instead....a sore spot still to this day that his Grandma loves to talk trash about and rub in!!! (Love you Mom)!!!

Well, things haven't gone as I had planned months ago.....however, last night in Game 1, CHASE Utley of the Phillies hitting 2 HR's, off the best pitcher in baseball - CC Sabathia, to give the Phillies an early lead and eventually win the game.....was pretty special to us, to say the least!!

And what I have always loved about Baseball is the deep history of statistics they pull out when stuff like this occurs.....And I love this one: Chase Utley became the first left handed hitter, to hit 2 HR's, off a left handed pitcher in a World Series game since........Babe Ruth back in 1928! WOW! Now Game 2 didn't exactly go as well for Mr. Utley and the Phillies and it looks like we will have a great series, which is great....but I am going to predict the Phillies win it in 6.

Chase Utley has no idea that an entire family of Dodgers fans are now rooting for him with every at bat....and he will also have a permanent roster spot on all of my future fantasy baseball teams until he retires!!

Thanks to all of you for your continued love, prayers, and support. It has been a tough week for us but God continues to provide what we need each day!

We love you all and Go Philles!! (did I really just type that?)

8 comments:

Kelly said...

I had never even heard of the guy before, but I've been cheering for Chase as well! :)

Cassie said...

We're rootin' for the Phillies, too!! Loved the post, Mark:)

kinsey said...

chelsea's cousin blythe is my best friend and she passed yall's blog on to me. i've been praying for you guys SO MUCH and after reading that chase was named after that baseball player, i think about you guys everytime i see him! and say extra prayers. i even pictured your family cheering him on last night as i watched. loved this post. :-)

Rebekah said...

I have a few memories of going to Dodger games with you all, of course not the World Series games though. Red Vines and popcorn! Hope you are all doing well.

Amy said...

go phillies!!

Catherine said...

I have been following your blog since your little Chase went to be with the Lord. Your stength and positive attitude is amazing. I love how you see CHASE in everything you do..a bank ... baseball player! God Bless your whole family. I will continue to pray that you see CHASE in all you do!!!!

Amy said...

Chelsea and Mark, I just recently became aware of your story and all that you have gone through recently with losing Chase. I've been reading past blog entries with tears streaming down my face and a heavy heart for all that you have had to endure and are still dealing with. I am so, so sorry.

Thank you for sharing your hearts during a time that is extremely difficult. Your faith, hope and trust in the Lord is an encouragement to me, thank you. You have been on my heart a lot since I heard Chase's story and I've been praying for you. I will continue to pray for your sweet family.

jennifer said...

Hi sweet Chelsea! My name is Jennifer Cochran.... my brother Jon Langston (a pharmacuedical rep who sees your husband)shared your story and had asked me if I would make a necklace for you...we are called "prayd4u" and he knew that we pray over the crosses as we bead them and wanted to show his concerns for yal and to get as many praying as possible!! It was such a priviledge to lift you and your family up in prayer... He passed along your blogpage and just this week I got to read up on your sweet little family... I cannot begin to tell you what a blessing your words have been to me!!! I have cried and smiled all at the same time.?.? Gods ways are so amazing!! Your faith is such an inspiration and I hope you know how your willingness to share about Chase is such a huge blessing to so many!!! I want to thank you for being so open and real, and ESPECIALLY for trusting God through this time... I think of you daily and continue to pray for you. Wanted to share this scripture with you, believing it will be an encouragement to you because it describes what your words have meant to me!! Thank you Chelsea ....
2 Corinthians 1:3-4 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies and God of all comfort, who comforts us in ALL our tribulations, that we may be able to comfort those who are in any trouble, with the comfort with which we ourselves are comforted by God! GBY jennifer