Image Map

Friday, April 18, 2014

Our Journey to Israel

I left blogging behind months and months ago, as our lives got more and more hectic and the words to describe our comings and goings became harder to find.  But, the experience of traveling to Israel and seeing God's holy land, has absolutely inspired me to put words to what I saw, heard, and learned.  I don't want to forget what happened over these days.

It was months ago when Mark first heard about the trip.  He decided it was a "must do" for our anniversary and began making plans for us to go.  This wasn't just any tour opportunity.  It was an organized group trip through Inspiration Tours, led by Max Lucado, with worship and music by Steven Curtis Chapman.  

Yes.  It was as good as it sounds.  :)
Both of these men and their families have been such a large part of my faith walk, and especially my walk of healing and ministry in recent years.  So, it was the final inspiration we needed to say SIGN US UP!
I have always dreamed of walking the Bible lands.  But, until recent years, I had quite a bit of fear of the "unknown" (because honestly, there was a LOT I didn't know or understand!). However, I have been increasingly drawn to being there over the last two or three years.  As we have studied the Jewish people, their faith, festivals, feasts and history, along with the Greeks and Romans---which was, for the most part, BRAND NEW for me, even as the teacher in this homeschool!---I had such a deep desire to experience it all, to see the ruins, and to understand God's story for His people even better.

So, when Mark announced the surprise, I was over the top excited.  There were countless times, as I even anticipated the trip, that my eyes would fill with tears, and my heart would get fluttery, just thinking about what was to come.

And, then, I got the packet of materials.  Oh my, how the tears fell!
Beyond the luggage tags and airport instructions, there were books and resources and maps outlining what our days would look like.  Tours were planned of places like Caesarea, Nazareth, and Capernaum.  Sites like the Jordan River, Mt. Carmel, and the Valley of Armageddon.  A boat ride on the Sea of Galilee.  A swim in the Dead Sea. And, multiple nights and days in the holy city of Jerusalem! 

(I look at these pictures and still can't BELIEVE I'm really standing there, and it's not some backdrop we are posing in front of!)

What brought me to tears every time was to think of how this would change everything.  Walking where Jesus walked.  And, having the stories of the Bible come to life before my eyes.

And I honestly had NO idea.  

I didn't even know when those tears fell on the tour guide book--in the comfort of my own home--what would happen to my heart in these places.

In some ways it has felt too sacred to share.  I could hardly write home or share a picture on Facebook because it just seemed too important to share that way!  There were no words to describe it.

But, here I am.  I've committed to blogging nightly until I've documented the trip. 

...To remember what we experienced, and to share the stories that were shared with us by our amazing Israeli guide.
...To share the absolute BEAUTY of the land of Israel and the restoration that is happening there...despite what we all hear on the news these days.
And, to share the lessons I learned personally, as Jesus walked with me through His holy land and His years of life on earth.
What better day to start the blogging than the day we celebrate Christ Himself--walking the long road through Jerusalem, beaten and bruised, sinless yet marked guilty--crucified for each of us.  

After walking the same walk, and seeing the details of this day in person, it feels as if it was yesterday, rather than 2000 years ago.  
And, in many ways it was.  Every day that we get to wake up, walk about this earth, and choose to follow Him, is another day He bought and redeemed on that cross.  

I don't want to waste a minute of the time He's given me.  

And, I thank GOD for the fire He lit in my soul on this trip.  May I honor Him as I recount the lessons learned along the way.

No comments: