Image Map

Sunday, April 20, 2014

Day One: Caesarea, Mt. Carmel, Megiddo, and the Sea!

The night we arrived in Tel Aviv after traveling for so many hours, we were honestly so exhausted that we ate dinner, met a few new people, and went to bed.  The next morning was a flurry of activity, as we had to wake very early, pack back up, and be ready to leave by 6:30 that morning.

Just as we were leaving our hotel room, I decided to just peek out my window.  (Yes, I know this is ridiculous.  We were finally in Israel, and I hadn't even bothered to look outside!).  As soon as we did, we both gasped.  

Sunrise was happening over the city, and we were right on the Mediterranean Sea!  Even greater than that---this is the ancient port of Joppa!  
Where Jonah tried to hide, and where Peter stayed with his friends, the Tanners.  (ha ha.  I crack myself up.)  Immediately, I was giddy.  We were really here and history was all around us, colliding with modern day buildings and construction.

That would end up being all we really saw of Tel Aviv.  As soon as breakfast was over (which, by the way, every meal in the Mediterranean was made for me.  There were bowls full of salads, fresh veggies, hummus, yogurt, cheeses...even for breakfast!  I was in food heaven here too!).  Anyway, I digress.  I'm sure it won't be the last time.

After breakfast, we began our drive north along the coast to Caesarea.  

Now, as I said before, this is serving as my journal, not only of the events of our days, but also the lessons God shared with me while I was there.  This is one of the biggest--right here on day one's drive.  God wasted no time getting to work on my heart.

I was blown away by the beauty of Israel as we drove.  I don't know what I expected.  But, rolling hills, lush farmland, beautiful flowers of every shade, and thick shady trees certainly weren't on the list.

Naftali, our amazing Israeli guide, whose heart was even bigger than his full-of-useful-information head, made this trip spectacular.  And, he began sharing on this drive about Israel in recent years.

We were looking out the windows at this:
And, he was telling us that only a few decades ago, it ALL looked like this:
This is the Rose of Sharon Valley from Bible times, referred to by Solomon and known by its rich farmland, and beautiful lush valley from the rainfall of the mountains.

But, when Israel was overtaken, and the Jewish people left, this entire area was covered in sand dunes and standing swampy water.  NO ONE wanted to settle here, so the Arabs, Muslims, and other groups settled in the mountains and avoided this area altogether.  When the Jews came back less than 100 years ago after gaining their country back, they KNEW the Bible, and they KNEW what this land should look like.  So, they bought it for cheap, and began caring for the land.  

They brought in eucalyptus trees to drink up the standing water.  (the light green trees in this picture...)
They began moving sand out by the truckloads.

And, they slowly but surely saw green growth begin again.
And, now it's the most fertile valley of all Israel, growing all kinds of produce like bananas, wheat, and various fruit trees.  Not to mention the flowers and green hills.  

In the 1930's, the Jewish people also knew there were important remains from Biblical times hidden and protected under these sand dunes.  So, they began excavating according to the stories and locations of the Bible.  They began to dig up entire original 1st century villages, and THE ENTIRE AREA OF CAESAREA!

This was literally one of the jaw-dropping moments for me.

Fifteen years ago, this entire Biblical area was under sand.  
No one knew it was there except the people who followed God and knew the Bible.

How can you not believe there is a God when you hear of His absolute protection of this land?
He purposely allowed the area to become swampy and desert-like...and no one even knows how it happened!  But, after years of keeping it safely protected from invaders, He is now allowing His people to rediscover His buried treasures!

And, new things are being discovered constantly.  

This area, where Herod had his palace, his swimming pools, mosaic floors, and outdoor living areas, was literally undetectable TWO YEARS AGO.
It just blows my mind.  It's been there for 2000 years.  And, now it gives even more proof of Biblical truth and historical accuracy.  God is so good.
And, as He usually does, He whispered some truth to my heart that applies to our work with our sweet ones in Rwanda.  It was as if He clearly said to me "Chelsea, sometimes you may see swamps and desert sand.  But underneath, there are treasures untold.  You just have to care for the land. Or the child.  You just have to patiently plant eucalyptus--or love and prayers--and wait for the water to clear.  You won't even believe what is underneath just waiting for me to reveal it!"  These children---and so many others---who have been hurt, suffered from invasion, or abandonment---just like this land---have been protected by the Holy One, who holds them close and allows "sand and water" to appear on the surface, so that their beautiful hearts and His truth can be buried safely deep within.
THANK YOU, Lord, for the way You used this place to teach me these truths and encourage me.

So, after this significant drive, we pull up to Caesarea, and we are thrown right into the middle of Roman life of Jesus' day. 
This is exactly what we have spent our entire homeschool year studying!!  I was absolutely astounded to see it come to life before my eyes.  If these walls could talk...
I can't imagine the stories they could tell from where they stood.
A hippodrome where horse races happened.  
Arches and sculpted columns.  

An aqueduct that ran from Caesarea all the way to Mount Carmel!  That Herod.  He was quite the resourceful man. :)
And, a Roman theater that was completely preserved underground, where we sat for morning worship!
Max Lucado shared with our group about the HOPE that is found in the story of Peter and Cornelius, which happened in this very place we were sitting.  
Of course, Cornelius, the Roman centurion, was from Caesarea, and sent for Peter to come and share the news of Jesus with him.  (Acts 10)

I really can't imagine being Peter.  After a lifetime of being a good Jew, God was now calling Him to minister to someone so unlike him.  So unliked by him.  And, without a word, except YES, he obeyed and went.  I hope I could do that.  But, it would be incredibly hard.  (And, isn't this what He expects us to do even today?  To those who aren't just like us...who might even be considered our enemies?  Tough lessons to learn and follow.)

But, because Peter did follow, the hope of Jesus came to the Gentile people.  Which means you and me.  We're invited to the same table that Peter sat at.  And there is room for everyone there!  What a significant story to begin our week with.

This is also the area where Paul was imprisoned before he went to Rome.  This picture shows what remains of his prison cell!  I read the letters he wrote with new eyes after seeing the places he walked and taught too.
After Caesarea, we continued our drive north, to Mount Carmel, the site where Elijah challenged the 450 prophets of Baal, and fire came down from heaven, proving that He was the One True God.

Again, Naftali's stories made so much more come to life.  He told us about the statue of Elijah you see here:
The statue was erected originally when the Crusaders came 1,000 years ago to free the land from the Arabs.  But, when the Israelites returned in 1967, and fought for this land, the Muslims knocked the statue down, thinking if they succeeded at doing that, then Israel would have no power and would lose.  However, even with a statue crumbled in pieces, they still won, proving that statues don't hold the power. Our God does!  It has been resurrected to remember the way God has continued to prove His power in this place over time.

From the very top of the mountain, you can see the entire Jezreel Valley, where countless Bible stories occurred.  You have a view of Mt. Tabor, Jerusalem in the distance, and the mountains around Galilee. (And, here you can also see the famous "Whisper", the listening device that our bus used to listen to our guide.  It was always in our ear, and it was like I got to carry Naftali around in my pocket.  :)
This wasn't the only valley we got to see this day.

We saw another very important one on our next stop.  The Valley of Armageddon, where the last battle of earth will take place, before Christ returns.

I couldn't stop staring at this site.  Someday this will be a war zone.  And, Jesus will come back and rule in peace and victory.  So surreal to stand in this place.
This valley is below an amazing place called Megiddo.  Megiddo is a "tel", or mountain made of ruins built upon ruins.  Because of its strategic location in protecting the entire area, Megiddo has at least 20 different layers of civilizations, each one built on top of the last.  (We're standing on the top of hundreds of history lessons, piled up to the sky!)
We saw remains as early as Abraham's day, as well as the many developments Solomon made to fortify the city in his day.  

They have discovered the original gates that Solomon built, the staircase to the city...
...a grain silo, horse stables, and an area of pagan sacrifices on a large altar, where Canaanites worshipped long ago.
There was also a natural underground spring that fed the area, that early civilizations tunneled down to, and then concealed from enemies.  I just can't believe how preserved all of this is, and how well-constructed it all is, even though some of it is 3,000 years old or more!
As we finished the day, we headed to the place we would be staying for the next several days, on the Sea of Galilee.
I will write more about the Sea tomorrow, because truly, it was my favorite, most significant place on this trip.  I mean, how can you not be swept away by its beauty and power?

The hotel was beautiful and peaceful, the outdoor dining was perfect, and the time we got to spend with one another was wonderful.  Every day and every night, we met new people who blessed us, and some big conversations were held among these tables.
And, can you see those tiny yellow chairs by the shore in that picture?

That's where I spent my evenings.  Me and God (and my sweet husband, most of the time!) and my music and Bible.  
Nothing in my life can top these moments.

I am thankful for the time in Israel and humbled by the opportunity to go.  Just as I pray when we go to Rwanda, Lord, may I never be the same when I return, because of the mark You leave on me there...this was my prayer from the yellow chair that night.

"Father, God, is it true that I am sitting on the coast of Your sea?  I see such beauty in this place--lush valleys, flowers, birds, crops, beautiful wind and weather--and it breaks my heart that we broke Your heart.  That we didn't see You for who You were then---and that I don't see---Your beauty and power some days.  The world and its glitter somehow distracts from the beauty that is unfading around us.  Lord, You are beautiful.  More precious than gold.  More beautiful than diamonds.  Nothing I desire compares with You."

No comments: