Image Map

Monday, March 14, 2011

Updates from Near and Far!

I know many of you are following Mark's updates and pictures on Facebook, but I wanted to also share a quick update here as well, for you "non-Facebookers" out there. (By the way, how am I NOT in that group anymore? What happened to me?!)
Mark is having an amazing trip. I know it's really only day three, and there is still so much ahead, but there have already been many connections made, thanks to some of our sweet friends in Kigali, and some great possibilities put before us. It is so exciting to talk to Mark every day and hear all that he is experiencing!!

Can I just say for a moment how much I love watching my husband use his gifts and talents in this way? He has been working in hospitals his entire career, and I'm watching him use those skills to reach out to this hospital full of beautiful people. And, I'm amazed. He was meant to do this...in my humble wifely opinion. :)

This morning, before his appointments with hospital staff, he got to meet our sweet friend, Jane and her husband.
Jane was our guide in January and has set up alot of the details for this week for Mark and Brian. He was able to go by their house to pick up an order for me, and meet the women who work hard on these beautiful necklaces too {who I made him take pictures of, since I didn't get to meet them last time!}:
In just a couple of weeks, we will begin selling these necklaces, as well as Rwandan bags, to help support our summer trips to Rwanda. I can't wait to get them all home! They are beautiful! And, so are the women who create them!!
And, by buying a necklace, you support widows and women who have struggled to make ends meet for their family, as well as orphans at Noel! And, you get to join us as a spokesperson for orphan care every time you wear your beads!
Then, after his time with Jane and Peter, Mark got to meet with the Chief Medical Officer at King Faisal Hospital.
It went really well. I won't get into too much here, but there are quite a few possibilities at this point, and we look forward to seeing how the rest of the week goes, as details are organized and plans are made. Tomorrow, Mark has a big day in the hospital all day, with another important meeting tomorrow afternoon. And, then Brian arrives tomorrow night as well! I'm looking so forward to them being together!

Thank you all for praying for them while they are gone, and for the path to be made clear and for this hospital to get what it needs. The people of Rwanda amaze me. But, that's another post.

I wish I could describe what is in my heart on a day like this. Listening to Mark experience the country we love. Watching him connect with people all over the city. Praying that God continues to reveal exactly what He has planned there. I told a friend today that I literally feel like I'm on the edge of my seat. He is up to some big things and I can hardly stand the suspense!

Meanwhile, back home...

We have kept ourselves pretty busy! It seems to make the time pass quicker, and is especially easy to do when everyone around you is on Spring Break. (This is not our official Spring Break, since next week, we are heading to visit UNCLE CHRIS in Boston and New Haven, as well as spend a couple of days in New York City! We're excited to really experience the US history we've been studying in school, and get to hang out with our cool uncle C too!)

This week was also the girls' last week of ice skating lessons.
For Christmas, each of the girls got a 10 week package of lessons from us. And, it has ended up being the best gift ever!
The girls have all come a long way in their skating skills, and have really enjoyed having this treat every Sunday afternoon.
And, by the way, there is nothing cuter than a toddler class of ice skaters. :)
They've all learned enough to now enjoy skating without falling, and they even know a few steps and tricks!
(Kendyll was sad to hear that this wasn't "the gift that keeps on giving" and that she was not enrolling in the next semester, even though she passed her skills test this week. Sorry, Charlie! That was a one time deal! They have already decided to ask for it again next year though.)

After skating, we made a few stops in the mall, including new sunglasses for everyone!
This purchase was prompted by my biggest girl getting her first {and hopefully only} migraine headache this week! It was so scary, because she had vision problems, was dizzy, had nausea, and pain in her forehead! We were glad to have it pass in a few hours, but are trying our best to avoid the "triggers" that we think caused it....the main one, being sunlight.

I was dying laughing at the cool shades Abby Kate picked out. She is the funniest girl I know.
Apparently, the other trigger {according to my mom, who is a migraine expert, unfortunately!} could have been the good old change in weather. Going from this:
to this:
has been great for playing outside...but apparently, can be really bad for migraines. And, we've been outside ALOT. So, we're now aware of those things and will hopefully recognize the headaches faster in the future. Plus, they feel pretty grown up in their new shades. :)
Last night, the girls got to have one of their favorite families spend the night. Yes, all 7 of them were together and I was lead chaperone. :) They are such fun kids and they had a great time together.
I really do love sleepovers for my kids. I'm weird like that. The kids did a little of everything...painting pots and planting flowers,
playing LOTS of dress-up...
having American Girl beauty shop,
making brownie sundaes and watching movies...
climbing trees, riding scooters, and watching ducks at the pond...
These kids played hard...and slept well tonight! That is always a good ending to a couple days full of fun. :)

No comments: