Image Map

Saturday, June 05, 2010

School is Out!

WOO HOO!!
As you can tell by Kendyll's pose, we are all very excited to have summer upon us. Our first week off of the school routine has been very fun...parks and swimming pool visits, painting, cooking, slumber parties, family walks, and free time! (Now, if I could just teach my kids to sleep in later.)

Even with early mornings, it still feels so great to be free!

Really, this post is a bit late, since Kendyll got out over a week ago. But, here is her end-of -school pictures.
The day before her summertime officially started, we spent the whole afternoon at the park in celebration.

We got Zoe's for lunch (one of our favorite treats) and IZZE drinks (the girls' favorites) for our picnic.
Carlie and Kendyll were the photographers for the day, and although there are 100 pictures or more, I will just share a few. :)
They got pictures of trees, grass, flowers, swans, and ducks...
And, a few of their sisters and mom too.
The next morning was Kendyll's Fine Arts Day presentation, where she played the part of Annie Oakley. I love my little cowgirl. And, she did such a good job with her lines.
The play was a walk through US history, and every second grader was a different character. It was very cute.
At the end of the program, the entire lower school sang 6 hymns they have learned this year. I was crying so hard through the whole thing. First, to hear their sweet voices singing these amazing words....then, to think about how this school year began---pregnant with Chase, full of expectation for adding him to our family. Oh, how much more those words mean to me now than they did before...and then, the tears were streaming because we love this school so much for what they teach our girls. Even with all the blessings of this wonderful school, though, we have made the big decision to teach the girls at home next year. (more about that later). So, of course my tears came easily at saying goodbye to such an amazing group of kids, families, and teachers.

Speaking of teachers, I'm convinced that Kendyll's teacher is truly an angel on earth. This was her last year of teaching, so we feel even more grateful that we were the last to have the sweet blessing of her wisdom and gentle guidance.
Just to tell you a little bit about her amazing heart and commitment to knowing her students so fully, this is just a small part of what she wrote on Kendyll's report card, in reference to Kendyll's character:

Kendyll leads by example by making wise choices that would honor her Lord. Clearly He is central in Kendyll's heart by her joyful countenance. Anxious for nothing, her confidence rests in the Source of all peace. Kendyll possesses a "kingdom vision" for life. She observes the needs and interests of others above her own. Kendyll desires to accomplish great things in His name. She is a true daughter of the King! Kendyll is a gracious child and has been a special blessing to me."

Oh my goodness, those words are so sweet to me. She knows and loves Kendyll so deeply, just like all of her other students, and I know that God handpicked her for us this year...when we needed it most.

So...as I said before, we're going from this absolute sweetness:
To, Kendyll's new teacher, Mommy:
Wow, what big shoes to fill. I know I won't come close, but I'm looking forward to giving it my best shot. So, we're officially a homeschooling family! I have already bought my curriculum (thanks, Mom, for helping me!!) and have begun making my plans, and we are all very excited! In fact, I'm not sure that I'll live up to the level of excitement the girls have about this idea! They can't wait to start. I sure hope that lasts!

Obviously, we have many reasons for making this decision, all of which I might explain in some other post. For now, we are just enjoying planning for our days together, where we get to learn as a family, spend time playing and having fun, and do not spend hours in the car or "on the run". We're ready for a slower pace and time together.

Meanwhile, we're MOST of all ready for summer fun! So, a very Happy Summer to you all. :)

3 comments:

Amy Woods said...

Mark, don't you just love your wife? I do!!! I'm so pumped that you are homeschooling this year, Chelsea! Can't wait to hear all about it!

MattandSara said...

Yay homeschooling! We still want to do a tripette (that would be a small trip) with you guys if you're still interested. We'll talk soon!

jennifer said...

Chelsea you will do an awesome job sister!!! So excited for your new "lifestyle!" It is truely that and what a great opportunity!!! Can't wait to talk to you about curriculum and stuff sometime! Those girls just look so precious!! You've been in my prayers this week :)Jennifer