Image Map

Sunday, October 18, 2009

A Wonderful Weekend

Whew! I'm getting crazy with all of this blogging! This is quite an improvement for me from the last few months!!

Well, I don't know about all of you, but this family sure needed the beautiful sunshine this weekend brought! We spent as much time outdoors as we could, and it lifted my spirits so much. Amazing how sunshine can do that!

Actually, when I woke up Saturday morning, realizing we had nothing on the agenda, I fought against the urge to turn over in my bed and just stay home. But, with it being so pretty, and with us already being home alot right now, we decided to get out. I knew that even though I didn't feel like it, it would be good for us all. I didn't want to plan anything, so, I literally prayed for God to direct our day and to fill it with JOY. And, it was a perfect unplanned day.

We decided to spend some time looking for a water fountain/bird bath for Chase's Corner in the backyard, and to let the girls pick some pumpkins for the porch. We decided as we drove down the freeway that we would go to the Farmers Market downtown. The girls love getting to pick fresh produce from the vendors there, and we knew we could find pumpkins AND birdbaths all in one location.

On our way there, we took a detour to avoid the Cotton Bowl traffic...and ended up on a downtown street, where we stopped for lunch. Here are my little pumpkins lined up to eat "on high stools" at the sandwich shop, which was the second perk of their day, right after getting to put money in a parking meter for the first time in their lives. They're rather easy to please. :)
By the way, do you notice what is right behind their heads?

In case you can't see it, here it is closer...
A "Chase" Bank. And, here is another one just down the road from the first one.
Do you know how many of these are in our metroplex?? We decided it would be funny to count and document how many we see in one day. We haven't done it yet, but we will. In a typical day, I probably pass at least a dozen or more! There is one on the corner by our neighborhood...one across the freeway from our neighborhood...one on the corner next to the girls' school...and seemingly on every other corner and exit I use throughout my day.

Now, on some days that is really hard. But, most of the time, I just smile and think that in some strange way it is a gentle reminder that our Chase is always with us. Yes, I know...It's just a bank sign. But, it makes me stop and smile (while sometimes crying too). Either way, I've come to enjoy seeing it. And, if you see one of those signs on your route, smile at it just for me. :)

Back to the weekend....

After lunch, we arrived at Farmers Market to discover that it was "Pumpkin Party" weekend! Little did we know that our unplanned excursion appeared to our girls to be a planned outing devised by their so-cool parents! There were pumpkin crafts, ponies, a petting zoo, face painting, balloon artists, food of every kind...oh, the fun!
The girls enjoyed picking their pumpkins (and look at the concentration on Mark's face as he worked hard to find the perfect ones!)
And, they posed for their mommy in the pumpkins.
Another sidenote: Please notice that my oldest daughter is sporting a side ponytail. Not sure how I feel about this. First, it makes her look older. Second, it is from the '80's, which I don't exactly embrace readily like other generations seem to. Third, it does not please my need for balance, so every time I looked at it, I felt the need to "straighten" it. But, hey...she's still cute, regardless. And she felt very cool.

One of our favorite parts of the Farmers Market is getting to sample all the yummy fruits and vegetables. And, I think we all had a full meal's worth by the end of the afternoon! And, we now have a fridge full of everything from white corn to pomegranates.
Look at these beautiful colors!! It's hard to resist!
And, these might have been the cutest veggies there!
The rest of the weekend has been full of picnics outside for every meal, playing at the park, climbing trees, riding scooters, and looking for birds for Kendyll's project for school.

Sunday, was "home church" for us, which we have done the last couple of weeks. Our plan is to return to church next Sunday, which will be good for all of us, although probably very emotional. But, for now, we are enjoying our simple service together, sharing scripture, songs, and prayers with each other. Today, Kendyll planned the service complete with a song list, a reading of Psalm 5, and sharing thoughts from her book about heaven.

She planned this after coming downstairs and seeing me crying on the couch. She gave me a sweet, sweet Kendyll hug. I told her I was sorry and that I still get sad sometimes. She said "I know, Mom. That's okay." Today was Baby Blessing Sunday at our church, and I was just a little bit sad about that.

And, even though there have been pockets of sadness for me this weekend, it has been such a wonderful time enjoying the fall weather, the sunshine, and my family.

So, I know I'm going crazy with this blogging thing...it's definitely my therapy right now. Tomorrow, be looking for a very important blog about this:

It might even have a "guest blog" section from my amazing hubby....if I can convince him. :)

14 comments:

jaime s said...

How funny, the side ponytail was the FIRST thing I noticed about Kendyll in her picture! She looks SO GROWN UP!

Thankful for your joy filled sunshiney day!

Brooks Inc. said...

Love you Chelsea...and think of you all the time.

When I saw the picture of the girls with the Chase sign in the background my tears came easily...So, so precious.

I am praying that this week will be one filled with the Lord...that you will continue to see Him at every turn...that He would be revealing His love to you in the biggest and smallest of ways...that your faith would be strengthed and your heart filled.

LOVE LOVE LOVE YOU!

BJB

Cassie said...

It's funny that you mentioned the sweet reminder every time you see a Chase sign because that is EXACTLY what happens to me every time I pass one. It's like I can't help but notice. Little did I know when you first ran his sweet name by us that the first thing it brought to mind (the bank) would be such a special symbol for years to come:) But I'm so thankful that I get to stop and remember my sweet nephew so often...such a blessing.

I also loved Kendyll's side pony tail...but more than that, I am VERY impressed that her symmetrical Momma embraced it just because it means so much to Kendyll.

Lastly, how do I have the most beautiful nieces in the entire world? Seriously. It's ridiculous:)

Love all of you and I'm so, so glad that you had a weekend full of sunshine and family time!

Brandi said...

Your strength amazed me!!! Love all the pics of your beautiful girls. When I see a Chase sign, I'll definitely be thinking of you and your baby boy. LOVE the side ponytail...HEHE!! Brings back memories! Glad you guys had a great weekend! Praying for you and your family!!!!

Kelli said...

What a perfect unplanned day!!! I have been so inspired by your strength and faith. The Lord is working a MIGHTY part of HIS big plan through your family!

Erica said...

I am so glad that you are blogging more so that I can see your precious family. I love all of the beautiful pictures that you posted. You have reminded me again today that the Lord is present in so many of our daily moments we just have to take time to notice. I love that He answered your prayer for a fun yet unplanned Saturday for all of you. Each of you continue to be on our hearts and in our prayers, I will definitely think of Chase anytime I see a Chase bank sign. Love you all!

Did you find a birdbath? If not I ordered one this summer that has a solar powered fountain, it was really funny to watch the birds try to get use to it coming on sporadically;-) I can send you the link if you need it.

Jere said...

I enjoyed reading your blog a few years ago because you inspired me to be a more fun, creative, intentional mom to my 3 girls. Now you're inspiring me in a whole new way as I witness how you're walking through this journey with such grace and immense faith. Your girls are adorable, and your sweet family remains in our prayers. I don't think we've ever actually met, but we have lots of mutual friends from ACU. Thanks for allowing God to use you to bless others.

Laura said...

I love the side ponytail and how you feel about it. It made me laugh. It also reminded me that you were the one that tought me how to "tight roll" my jeans one Sunday after church when you came home with me. :)
Also, maybe there is a reason God put the name "Chase" in yours and Marks head and had the two of you chose that to be his name. You are sweetly reminded of him wherever you go!!
I've loved reading your blog and your girls are absolutely BEAUTIFUL!

The Speck family said...

Surely you know how beautiful your three girlies are~ their smiling faces alone bring such sunshine. I, too, love the adorable side ponytail~ I sure did love wearing those back in the 80s :). Chelsea, I have a half written letter to you that will eventually be finished and mailed because I have shared so, so many of your feelings. Your words have been an encouragement and strength to ME...as it has already been two years along our unexpected journey. My prayers only continue and we send you all our love!

Amy said...

oh i'm soooo happy to hear you had a wonderful weekend!!

Unknown said...

WooHoo! Side ponytail! Seriously, that's the first thing I noticed when I saw Kendyll's picture. I thought, there is no way she has a side ponytail! She looks so old & poised!
I love all the pumpkin outing pics. Kyle came running over and yelled, "Abby Kate! On a horsey! I wanna on a horsey!!" :) Katie & I were trying to get him to say, "Abby Kate is cute", but it came out, "Abby Kate a toot!" :) Glad y'all had a fun weekend.

Jill said...

I first noticed Kendyll's side ponytail, too -- my goodness, she looks so much older than she did when I first got hooked onto your blog in '07. Yes, I will always think of you guys now when I see Chase Bank signs...and will smile and say a prayer.

Stephanie said...

I'm so happy that God led you to a wonderful weekend. I know your whole family needed it!

If Kendyll needs help with the side ponytail, tell her Honey used to wear them and knows how to put them up. Trin has been doing her own hair lately (and you know how crazy it is)! I think I'd take a side ponytail at this point, as long as she let me do it! Hee Hee!

The girls look so cute in their Halloween T's. The Farmer's Market looks so fun. I would never have thought to go down there. I may have to take my kids next weekend.

I love to see Chase signs too. I think of you and your sweet baby every time I go to the bank!

You are speaking right to my heart with your words. I think we all need to be "undone" so God can mold us and shape us. I don't know how to do that and I'm anxious to get some time with you to talk about your journey. I miss you and love you friend!

stacey4 said...

Chelsea, I wanted to let you know that not a day passes that I don't think and pray for your family.