Image Map

Monday, October 19, 2009

God Moments

Okay, this is gonna be one wild ride, as you read through this blog entry. I've rewritten it for two days now. So, please bear with me. I've found myself spinning my wheels as I try to get this entry started. So, I'm stopping right now to pray that God will give me clarity and will share His message here.

....I remember a couple of years ago in our Ladies Bible Study group, listening to one of our ministers speak about the "God Moments" in his life that led him and his family to mission work. These were moments in time where he felt absolutely directed by the Lord. He was able to trace God's Hand so clearly as he spoke to us. And, I remember sitting there in the audience, praying silently that I would be able to look over my life and distinctly recognize God Moments of my own...moments where God was so clearly guiding my path and directing my steps. All of us have them: the moments we clearly felt God nudge us toward something. Sometimes we listen and sometimes we don't. And, then, sometimes God doesn't give you a choice in it.

I believe Mark and I have most certainly experienced a God Moment in the last few weeks. He has physically surrounded us in indescribable ways. He has spoken to us every single day, and we have been desperate to hear His sweet voice directing us, guiding us, comforting us.


But, these moments began even before we lost our sweet Chase. There have been specific times over the last two years where Mark and I have felt our hearts stirred, and we have been left wondering what exactly He was planning to do with us.

Although I won't go into all of them here and now, I want to share a couple of these instances that have come through books we've read. (Like I said, bear with me!) One of these moments was New Year's Day 2008, as we drove to New Orleans for a football game. I read the book "Same Kind of Different As Me" out loud to Mark the entire trip, and we found ourselves unable to stop talking about the passion we discovered in that story. Passion for reaching the helpless, the poor...passion for being Jesus to the world.

When this same theme was continued through other conversations we had, speakers we heard, Bible studies we did, we began praying about what this meant for us. We were becoming quite sure that God was calling us. But, we didn't know how or when or where. After reading the book, we didn't want to be just a suburban family with spoiled children who never left our comfort zone of our Christian church, Christian schools, and Christian nation...and never reach those who desperately needed what we had to offer: the good news of Jesus. We did not got instant clear direction from Him though, as much as we wanted it...we thought maybe we're supposed to adopt a child from a third world country? Maybe we're supposed to provide foster care for children right here in our own city who need a loving home? Maybe we'll end up supporting a specific mission that He will lead us to? Maybe He wants us to just focus on raising our children and will fulfill His call to us in future years?

We continued to pray, and I continued to find other books to read. :) Two other great ones I began were "Dangerous Surrender:What Happens When You Say Yes to God", by Kay Warren and Discerning the Voice of God, a Bible study by Priscilla Shirer. The same message was throughout both of these. It was about God Moments, where His voice is clear and is calling Christians to live differently. And it was a whole lot about sharing our abundant blessings with a world who is in desperate need.

Then, during all of this searching and reading, I got pregnant. NOT what we were expecting Him to say, but we thought this must be what He had in mind! I remember talking this over with a couple of friends, saying "I still can't shake the feeling that God is preparing us for something!" I was worried that maybe this preparation I felt was for a child with special needs, or a birth defect of some kind...some new cause that I would be a part of. Little did I know that God was preparing me then, and still is.

Our good (and very wise) friend, Jo Lynn, who has suffered through grief of her own, sent me this note in a card two weeks ago. And, it says in one sentence what I've just attempted to say in 14 paragraphs:

"What a blessing to be loved by a God of preparation! You may never be aware of all He had set in motion to prepare your family to walk through this. But be alert to His workings -- someday you'll have quite an inspirational story of God's mercy, love, peace and sovereignty that will comfort, sustain, and empower you through this season."

Perfectly said, He IS a God of preparation! And, we are watching Him work...and are standing in astonishment as He continues to speak through our God Moments.

So, fast forward to our next God Moment. Monday, October 5th. Just five days after we met our beautiful baby Chase. We were handed a note from a dear friend, whose family had decided to support a child every month through World Vision. Little six year old Godson shared a birthday with our Chase. They did this in Chase's honor. And, this is the response I sent her that evening...

Sweet friend, I wanted to give you some background about how the Lord used you by deciding to adopt sweet Godson... Mark and I had just had the conversation on Sunday night that we just want God to use us...to use our Chase...for something bigger. Not just to show others how to grieve with hope, although that is so important. And, not just to give Him glory in our immediate family for the way He provides, although that is our daily prayer. But, we also want to be used by Him to reach further and do more than we would have done before this happened. We DON'T want to go back to our "normal life" and not have been changed by Him.

So, on Monday morning, Mark left the radio off after dropping Kendyll off at school and just began praying for the Lord to speak to Him about a way we could begin to make a difference. He said he immediately had the image of Atsupuhi come to his mind (who is our sponsored child through Compassion). He also said he remembered the words of Chris Seidman from his sermon last Sunday about how God has provided the resources to meet the needs of hungry children everywhere, but we haven't used the resources the right way (this was in his sermon about "Everything Happens For a Reason" which we have listened to since we lost Chase, and it was GREAT!). Anyway, Mark felt like God was telling him that there are so many children dying for no reason except that they haven't been provided the most basic of needs and that Chase's life can bring life to other children He started praying that God would show him how to help those children and somehow honor Chase through it.

Then, within 30 minutes of that prayer time in the car, he was dropping Abby Kate off at school. And, you handed him the packet about sponsoring Godson that brought him to tears in the car. He called me crying and told me the whole story. Amazing hand of God to have that all happen in that way!

We have already begun preparing ourselves for what God has in store through this. We're hoping our entire family will do this in Chase's name! We have also adopted our own boy, Edward, also from Tanzania, born September 30, 2003 in honor of our baby boy.

We are so fired up about this, and it has given us such hope that we can be a part of something bigger than us, to help those who can't help themselves, and who just need so little to survive. So, thank you for being a vessel for the Lord's work, and for being a part of God's message to us in such a timely way. I'm always amazed to watch Him work, and to hear His voice when we are ready to hear it. AMAZING!! And, He used you to speak!

Thank you so much for your sweet heart, and for doing this in Chase's honor. It means so much. And, we pray that it was the first step to something so much bigger.


Since then, we have had other books join our "stack" that have even deepened our passion for helping children in Chase's name. Five days after I sent this letter to our friend, Mark's parents attended a silent auction for Christian Works for Children, where they were able to listen to Pam Cope speak about her life journey. Through the loss of her son, God has led her to help children literally around the world, who so desperately need someone to stand up for them. Of course, Cheri bought me Pam's book that evening, knowing I love to read, and knowing our stories share the common thread of finding God in the midst of grief. Since then, Mark and I have both read "Jantsen's Gift" and are absolutely blown away by the Lord's nudging. :) A family helping give life to children around the world, in honor of their son's life...

The next book we started (and Mark is alot further than I am) is written by the CEO of World Vision, Richard Stearns, entitled "The Hole in Our Gospel". Again, we have been floored by God's direction...one of the best quotes in reference to getting out of our American comfort zones and giving life to those who need it, is this: "Love God. Love your neighbor. That's it. That's the "Bible for Dummies". It's simple, really. But, it's taken our loss for us to see what we have to share.

We want to love our neighbors, and not just the ones in our suburban cul de sac. We want to love our neighbors--especially the sweet children--who live in shacks across the world, who don't have a chance to survive on their own. We don't know where God is leading us, or what all He has in store as we walk this new road since losing Chase. Honestly, right now, it all feels quite scattered in our minds, as to be expected. But, for now, we want to offer a simple challenge to our friends and family who have so graciously walked alongside us so far.


We're humbly praying for even more families to join us in helping others! Help us honor Chase...or someone in your own family...by giving life to other precious children who need food, clothing, shelter, and, ultimately, need Jesus. It costs so little to help, and we have all been blessed so abundantly. For the price of a family dinner at Chili's or a trip to the movies, a child can be fed, clothed, sent to school, and loved for a month! We have started a list in the sidebar of our blog of the newly sponsored children and their names and countries we have already received, and we're so thankful for those who have begun a new sponsorship on behalf of Chase!


If you'd like to learn more about Compassion International, World Vision, or Touch A Life, click on their links for other ways to help. Look at the faces of these sweet children. Read about their stories! Help by giving care to pregnant moms who don't know the importance of caring for their unborn child. Give vaccinations to infant children who don't have a chance of suriving otherwise. Buy a one time gift for a family or village, including options like a goat or chicken, a soccer ball, a fishing pond, or clean water! Give a sponsorship to a family member for Christmas this year. Honor someone you love by selecting their birthdays or a certain country or age of child. Most of all, pray that these children will be blessed.


If you'd like to share, we would love to hear about the children you support and the way you choose to do it! So, comment here on the blog, or send us an email to mcjacobs4@gmail.com!

"For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me." Matthew 25:35-36

If you've read this whole thing, thank you for sticking with me. And, thank you for continuing to pray, as we continue to cling to His comforting voice and seek His continued direction for our family. We miss our Chase every day, but we also have peace in knowing his life has already brought life to other children. And, may that only increase from here!

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Chelsea,
I’ve been following your blog and praying for you and your sweet family ever since I heard about sweet Chase. My heart is heavy for you all as you grieve. I’m also inspired by your words and honesty and strength that you have shared with us. I know the days and nights must be a roller coaster right now but the fact that you are still clinging to the knowledge that He is faithful, and that you are seeking His face and His calling for your life and for this world is truly a gift. I pray that the Lord will continue to speak and let you know in clear ways that He is with you through the bad days and the better days. Verses from 2 Corinthians come to mind as I think of all you have just written, “Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves have received from God.” May the God of all comfort continue to hold you close as you miss your baby boy, but may the hope of what is to come in bringing His kingdom on earth sustain you and inspire you as you continue to cling to Him. I know you don’t want to hear it, but your faith is amazing in this difficult time. Amazing. Thank you for sharing your heart, your hurt, and your dreams of ministry with all of us.
Love you,
Ann (Lynch) Reese

LYN said...

Wow, Chelsea...what an awesome blog. I'm praying for your family as you follow God's leading. Praise his name!

Ashley S said...

We support a sweet, little girl from Swaziland named Mpumi. The sponsorship is through World Vision. We are so glad we decided to do this about 4 years ago. We get progress letters about her and the village she lives in and pictures of her from the volunteers, and we receive hand written notes from sweet Mpumi. Her birthday is March 3 and she is in the third grade. She wants to be a teacher.
God bless your family!

Beth Roberts said...

I'm not sure how I came across your blog, but it was a few weeks ago! I got chills reading this post!! To be able to use such a loss in such a mighty way is amazing!

Also, I grew up going to church with Jantzen and the Cope family! Small world! :) There's is also an amazing story!

Brittani said...

Ok Chels,
Now it's my turn to try to collect my scattered thoughts (yours came toegther so well by the way) So, where do I start. God has given you an amazing message to share and sometimes just simply telling your story is all you need to do. I have some own "God Moments" in my life and during those times I have thought "Really, God this is what you want me to do?!?" But I listened and did it anyways, only to have complete clarity and thankfulness later.I have been struggling lately with direction and somewhat ignoring that nudging feeling I have had towards different things because it wasn't the answer I wanted. Two weeks ago I picked up the copy of "Same Kind of Different" that my mother left when she was here months ago. I began reading and it started to shape my life. I am now listening! The other night after a particular part in the book, I cried, thinking when this is over where do I go from here! This book had been moving and directional, I can't read something now without purpose, and there it is, in your post, my next steps. I am shaking as I write this because I know what I have to do next. I have to post the blog that has literally been on my heart for years I have just been to afraid to write it. Sweet Chelsea, thank you for being brave enough and strong enough to share your story, it gives me courage and reassurance. Look for my "God moment" post soon!
Loves, Britt

Kev and Ang said...

I loooove Pricilla Shirer and have been wanting to work through her study on Discerning God's Voice. She came to Memphis and did a revival that I went to recently and it was so great. Let me know if it was good.

I'm so glad you're continually finding ways to help others through your grief that is still so new. Imagine what will come from these spirit felt nudges in the future! :)

Liz*** said...

Hi Chelsea,
I loved reading this post!! I just finished "Same Kind of Different as Me" and thought it was life-changing. I "encouraged" my hubby who isn't much of a reader to read it and we have been blown away by our change in thinking. I know this is nothing less than the Holy Spirit guiding and shaping us. We are going to hear Ron Hall speak tonight at a fund raiser for CCA. I can't tell you how excited I am!Thank you for sharing your story and your grief with all of us. I pray for you and your family everyday and will continue to do so. Love, Liz

Cassie said...

I CANNOT wait to see what the Lord has prepared for your family.

We are now the {very} proud sponsors of Khethang from South Africa. He was born on September 30, 2005. I'm pretty sure he is one of the CUTEST boys I've ever seen. Thank you for sharing this opportunity with all of us!!

Love you and your faithful heart.

AmyM said...

Just read all of your entries since 9/25 and feel awesomely drained and inspired all at the same time. I cannot imagine how much deeper and more intense they are for you and Mark. I love you guys with all of my heart. Some kids from World Vision will have clothes thanks to Chase tonight.

Kelly said...

Love this post...thank you!

Unknown said...

Chelsea, You will never know how much you and your family have touched my life as I have watched you go through this journey. Baby Chase has inspired me to be more like Jesus and to follow Him closer. I can't wait to see what all God is going to do because of his precious life. I love you guys so much and am praying for you everyday.
Jala

Shelley said...

Wow, Chelsea, Once again an amazing post. You have spurred me on to sponsoring a child. I was going to sponsor a child before our trip to Honduras and didnt do it. Then when we returned home and saw the poverty I knew we must do it... but still didnt take the time to do it! I AM GOING TO DO IT in memory of Chase now. This weekend I will sponsor a child from Honduras (since that is OUR country!) through Compassion. I will fill you in with the details. Thank you so much for your courage, love, and dedication to GOD. You are amazing. Love you! Love the girls and the pumpkin post, too :) They are growing so fast!

Ashlee said...

Wow, Chelsea. I am amazed by your strength and ability to convey what you are feeling so well! Not sure you remember, but I saw that Saturday night at the Pure NRG concert and then found out what had happened on Monday. I was wondering what that meant, if anything? I asked the Lord and He replied "I've enlisted you"....hmmm not a word I use everyday but I am ready for any call of prayer day or night that the Lord has for you...to deliver strength, peace or whatever! Just thought I would let you know, oh and the "undone" post I loved. Did you know that word is used in Isaiah? I heard a song with that word in it this summer and wondered if it was in the Bible and it was....Isaiah 6:5 "...I am undone...for my eyes have seen the King, the Lord of Hosts." When you see the King, you are "undone." Obviously, you have seen the King and He is doing a work in you because you are allowing Him in your life even when its not the most fun thing God favors you Chelsea, and I am thankful for you and I am encouraged!