Image Map

Sunday, November 18, 2012

No. 41

Deep breath.

I really can find a way to tell this story in a single blog entry, can't I?  

Here we go.

My friend Tara became my friend two years ago, as we traveled to Ethiopia and Rwanda together, on a Visiting Orphans trip.
Just days after we were all home, we began talking.  Well, really, I just began listening.  To this awesome girl tell me about selling her furniture so she can move to Rwanda.

Now, I'm going to fast forward past ALOT of details.  Alot of prayers, alot of late night talks, alot of unanswered questions, alot of laughter over the funny things she experienced in her new African home, alot of frustrations, alot of sorrow, alot of searching.  But, most of all, ALOT of encouraging conversations with my sweet friend, who left it all behind, and followed her God across the world to be available for His plans.
She moved to Noel, and lived among the kids there, serving in so many ways.  

And I can't really remember the first time we talked about her big dream.  But, I remember hearing from her about how unbelievable it was that the secondary school kids weren't fed lunch.  And, then we had talks about peanut butter and Tara packaging it for them to eat for lunch.  And, then that turned into the dream of a feeding program.

And, then.  THEN, she shared this idea of teaching the girls a trade, so they can be successfully employed, and then using the funds they raise to FEED the kids at school!!

We were talking one day about how to really start something like this.  I mean, how do you just jump in? And, as the weeks passed, God said it was time to jump.  Her plan was becoming more and more complete.  Then, she was meeting with the bishop, and getting a house, and buying machines, and moving Mediatrice to Gisenyi to teach sewing.  Then, she was sending sketches of logo designs, bag designs, supply lists she needed from the US.
It is absolutely CRAZY to look back at each little conversation, building on the last one, until finally she had a room full of girls, ready for their first day of work.
And, my friend Tara, literally started something from nothing.  She followed the Lord's leading and began giving these girls a future.  A hope.  A friend.  A safe place.  A skill.  A passion.  A way to serve and give back.  A place to call home.  A group to belong to.  An identity.  A discipline.  A sense of belonging.
By the time we arrived for our visit, sewing school had been in session for only a few weeks.  They were still figuring out the basics of their machines, how to put a bag together, how to come on time and work hard all day, and manage the flow of having this many girls sewing at the same time.
But, even with all the little hiccups and learning curves, it was AMAZING to watch these girls.  Their smiles could literally light up the room.  They were so FULL of energy, joy, and happiness.  It was like night and day compared to the first time we met them so long ago. 
 
As we all sat and talked with them, about the program going forward, they were cheering, crying, clapping.  This is life-changing, y'all.  Absolutely, totally a new hope and a new future for these girls, who have lived their lives at Noel, not sure if they would ever find a way out.
It was so fun to take some pictures of them, and celebrate them a little.  We took some of their very first bags back with us, and they were amazed that people were already fighting over them!
And, let me tell you, that was only the beginning!!
Since our visit, these women and their fearless leaders, Tara and Alison, have continued to amaze us with their drive, passion, vision, and ability to follow God's lead on what He has planned.
They have an amazing business that is going strong.  They can't even keep up with the demand, and they will begin feeding children with their lunch program in January.  They have attended leadership and business training classes.  They have enrolled in university classes.  They have increased their knowledge of both sewing AND Jesus.  And, they have become a tight, close family.  Such a priceless blessing in the midst of this!
No.41 is gonna change the world.  
In fact, it already has.  For these women.  And, for the children they will serve.

So...you know what I'm about to say, right?
It will bless YOU to get to know these girls and support them as they continue to grow and bless others.  There are many needs right now for this growing ministry.  Many of the girls have just begun university classes.  Tara is running a business in two houses, and needs more machines.  They need our support!  They need our encouragement!  They need our partnership, as they learn a trade, and in turn, bless those who are in need, with food.
Every {awesome, trendy, handmade} bag they make and sell provides lunch FOR ONE child, FOR ONE year.  {The reason for the name "Number 4-1"}.  Don't you want these for everyone on your Christmas list?
To find out how to get your bag, visit No. 41's website HERE.  Plus, just reading the awesome words of my friend, Tara, as she lives life in Rwanda, will bless you beyond belief.

(select Tara Clapper from the menu.) 
This really is such a beautiful business model.  I just stand in awe at my awesome friend who said YES....who continues to say YES...even though the road is hazy ahead, and life can be frantic when you're momma to so many.  :)
Oh, and speaking of being mommas.  These girls are already amazing mommas.  And, I love watching them develop such skills and confidence to become Godly wives and mothers someday.

Do you know what is happening in these pictures?
I didn't even know it at the time.
They were all obsessed with Gabe, and took turns holding him and kissing him.  In this moment, though, they were speaking to him in Kinyarwanda.  I found out later that they were blessing him.
Telling him that he has been set apart by God for big things because He was chosen to be in a family.  They told him he will be strong.  And, that with God, he can do anything.
I couldn't stop the tears when I heard that these sweet girls were blessing my son that way.
And, Tara, let's just go ahead and say now that we will grow old, watching ALL of these children raise their OWN children in new ways.  With love and guidance and wisdom, blessing each of their little ones as wise mothers and fathers, because they have been shown a new way to love.  That's my dream and my prayer.

I'm so proud of my friend, Tara.  And, so excited to watch what happens next in the lives of No.41.

2 comments:

Heather said...

love this post!!! I had heard of 41... but so glad to hear the back story! heading over to check out their website now!

Jana said...

Hi Chelsea,
I happened upon your blog back in May when I lost my daughter to stillbirth at 39 weeks. You have provided so much inspiration to me along the way! Throughout this rollercoaster of grief, my husband and I have felt God tugging on our hearts to look into adoption. I am not even sure where to begin at this point, but have seen your beautiful story and was hoping you might know the right place to send me. :-) If you have any time, could you please email me at: jkeane1219@gmail.com? Thank you SO much from the bottom of my heart.
Jana