Image Map

Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Home

Last week, we hit the 3 month mark of being home with Gabe.  So, I thought now would be a good time to show you pictures of that happening.  :)
You know, it's pretty amazing to look at these pics of our homecoming.  I smile every time.  Of course, I smile when I see the crowd that welcomed us home...not just faces and names, but people I adore and who literally prayed us home.  And, even more than that, I smile at the joy on their faces as they meet Gabe and hold him.  Oh, the love.  It runs deep.
But, what makes me smile even bigger is knowing now what I didn't know then.  These pics show love...but we had no idea.  No idea how much deeper it could go.  No idea that those same people who greeted us would shower us with love like we never imagined.  No idea that God would create a fierce bond between mom and dad and son that is literally like glue.  :)  So, there was love. But, it didn't feel then like it does now.
Now it feels like home. 

Familiar.  Comfortable.  Right.

In fact, I can't even really explain this in words, but this place feels like home to him too.  One of my favorite things is watching his face when we walk through the door.

He recognizes it with a smile and a sigh.  And sometimes a squeal.  And his whole body relaxes (which you can physically see in a child who usually has high tone (flexed muscles).)

Honestly, he doesn't love the running around that our city life requires at times.  So, it's a remarkable difference in his mood when he is finally home.

And, that's kind of a big miracle in my book.  Because a little over 3 months ago, this place smelled strange, looked strange, and was missing the people he called family and the place he called home.  And, while I hope and pray that he grows up knowing both, I am grateful for the roots he seems to be planting right here.

When anyone starts the road of adoption, there are those weeks when you're all fumbling with a new way.  Gabe "fit in" quickly.  But, somewhere in all these weeks, he began to really really belong...in our home, in our hearts, in our family.
Today, I smile (and, yes, cry) at these pictures because God is so crazy amazing.  He took a child and placed him in our arms as a son.  And, even on the days when it didn't feel so deep and connected and rooted, we cared for him and loved him and gave him what we could give.  And, as you do that, day after day, God completely and totally turns your world upside down for this little one, who you didn't birth, or even know in the earliest of days.  But, who now can make you squeal with pride when he has a great day at therapy or grabs a toy or says "mama" (totally by accident).

It's a crazy God thing that we come to know our children the way we do.  Every little detail possible.  The tickle spots, how much to warm the food, what each cry really means, and how his "side eye glance" makes you laugh and he knows it.

And, so I share these pictures of "coming HOME", even more grateful now than I even was then.  God is making a family here, slowly but surely, and we are surrounded by the most amazing people who continue to pray us home.

1 comment:

Lori said...

We don't know each other, but I'm moved to tears by your family often. What a beautiful family God has built, thank you for sharing yours.