Image Map

Saturday, May 19, 2012

Baby Blessings

In a desperate attempt to inspire myself to productivity, I spent some time going through pictures from the last two months.  Wow.

I'm officially declaring it blog week, so that I will really sit down and make my way through these overdue updates.  (I hear the applause of my extended family even as I type.)

Tonight, I'm totally going out of order, and just going with what is on my heart.

As I think about my opportunity--and responsibility--to share God's deep, abundant, unconditional love with our newly adopted son, I am thankful that we never do that alone.

I'm thankful for the hundreds of others who walk with us, both on this side of the world, and back in Rwanda too.

This was one of the most powerful moments of our entire time in Rwanda...
It wasn't something I ever expected to experience.  And, it wasn't a moment I even realized was happening as we prayed that day.

But, as I received the pictures after Gabe's baby blessing at Christ's Church Rwanda, I was incredibly moved by the image of a crowd of people, lifting their hands in prayer and blessing over my son.

These are people who have raised him.  They have prayed prayers of life and blessing from the beginning.  They deeply love him.  And, they stood beside us, to love us too, as they blessed our family that day, and gave a gift I could never repay.
We were so thankful to hear thoughts from aunties and uncles who have been such a significant part of Gabe's life, as well as church leaders and even Zaina, the director of NCC, and the person who matched us to Gabe.

 It was a day of deep connection for us.  Connection to the place where Gabe was brought up in God's love.  Connection to the people who bless and pray and encourage us, even after we are home.  Connection to the country that has our heart, and the church where our family will continue to return to over the years to come.  It's all such a gift.  And, we're so thankful.

It was also a day of inspiration for us.  Every child deserves a family.  And, we pray every child has the opportunity to be loved on by a church family too, and brought up surrounded by love and care like this.  This isn't what every orphan gets right now.  So, we continue to seek the Lord's will in how that can continue for other children in Rwanda.

And, then, to think God blessed us doubly, by giving us a wonderful church family HERE as well!  Our baby blessing at The Branch was just a few weeks ago, where scripture was spoken over Gabe, our family was prayed over, and the church once again welcomed and encouraged and blessed us and our new son.

I'm just so thankful tonight for the ways God provides for each of us.

His desire and design is for no one to walk alone.

And, years from now, I can show Gabriel Mugisha exactly that:  he was never alone.  He has a rich heritage in the Lord and he will know he has been blessed and prayed for from his earliest of days.

Thank you, Lord, that You always walk ahead of us, and You give us so many others to walk beside us.  It is the sweetest gift, and I am treasuring it tonight.  :)

1 comment:

Le Ann said...

I so enjoyed this post! I look forward to hearing more about how God is working in your family and in your lives!