Image Map

Thursday, July 22, 2010

Compassion International Visit Day

Tuesday, July 20

Tuesday was a day we had been waiting for. For as long as we’ve known we were coming to Ghana, we have been looking forward to meeting our Compassion kids. We were as excited to meet these three girls as we were to meet our precious Touch A Life friends! And, I had a nervous stomach when I woke up, just anxious to meet them and see their faces.

Even though I knew it would be great, I was not prepared to receive the tremendous blessings we did through this experience.

Our driver picked us up very early in the morning, and we began the drive into Accra. After a very challenging search for Compassion’s field office, we finally found their beautiful building, and began our tour.

Lydia, a Compassion employee who arranges sponsor visits, stayed with us the entire day and led us on a tour of Compassion’s facilities.

Compassion’s offices were so impressive. I had heard and read all about how well they keep records, and how focused they are on their mission: to rescue children from poverty. But, to experience it in person was even better. We got to meet everyone who makes the Ghana program run so well. There are 25,000 children in the program, and Compassion’s goal is to increase that to 50,000 by 2013. They just celebrated their fifth year of service in Ghana this week, and we were so honored to visit during such an important time for them.

We got to see where the sponsor letters come in, and how they are reviewed. We even saw the boxes where our three girls’ mail comes!

After our tour, we were taken to our first visit, to meet the directors of the Compassion program for Edwina Atsupuhi. Edwina has been in our “family” since Kendyll was four, so we were very excited to meet her after many letters over the years. As we entered her church, where the program takes place, we were overwhelmed completely with our greeting. Hugs and cheering began immediately, and we were shown our “welcome” sign on the door. Everyone was so gracious and so thankful for our visit. It was very humbling to experience.

They gave us a beautiful gift of African wear for both Mark and me. They were so excited to see us put them on, and cheered again when we wore our new clothes. :)

One thing I was very impressed with at the center was how much detail they gave us about what they do there and how they run the program. Everything is so well organized and very well-run by men and women who really care about these 200 kids. We saw their curriculum, and were presented with the history of their program and the statistics of the children (all by power point!).

In the middle of the power point, I noticed a woman sit down next to Mark. Soon, we figured out that this was Edwina’s mother and baby sister! We interrupted the entire talk because we had to hug her neck! She was so sweet, and so was little Esther (although she wasn’t too sure about us!)

After the presentation, we got to see Edwina’s folder, full of copies of each letter we had written, every photo we have sent, every picture Kendyll and Carlie had colored, and even how the money was used any time we had sent a birthday or Christmas gift. It was AMAZING to see and brought us to tears to see how each thing has been cherished, both by this family, but also by this organization.

After a while, it was finally time to go meet Edwina!! We were taken to her school, which was precious. We were a spectacle for sure, as every child there noticed our presence and were quite distracted from their classwork. Oops!

As soon as we saw Edwina, we recognized her, and I started squealing and waving. She was still in class, so we waited while her teacher finished talking to the class. As soon as she was done, Edwina ran to us at the front of her classroom, and I scooped her up and hugged her. It was so good to know her in person after years of seeing only pictures.

We also got to meet her twin brother, Edwin, who I had also heard about but had not met. After sitting with the class and meeting lots more of the children, we headed out to see Edwina’s home.

Before we drove to the house, we were told more about her situation. I knew that her father had died when she was younger. There had been another father figure in their lives, but he has now left the family too. So, for the last few years the family had lived in a “non-permanent structure”, which I found means “They do not really have a house, they have a storage shed that they use as a home.”

It was very sad. It was literally a shed that we Americans would use to store our lawn care equipment. This family of four lived in one room. They slept on a foam piece on the floor, and sat in plastic chairs on the other side of the room. They cooked outside in the street with other families, and did not have much at all in the way of possessions.

As we entered the home, they showed us where to sit, and we began to show her the things we had brought with us. She was all smiles, as she saw new clothes, art supplies, bubbles, and a bag full of other things. We also brought her mother some rice and candy for their neighborhood friends. Oh, how I wish we could have done more! Like buy them a real house! :)

But, still, even among such poverty, where most everyone struggles to have enough for their children, I’ve never seen such peaceful, happy, unselfish people. They were so grateful and said so many times how blessed they were by this visit. But, the truth is, Mark and I were blessed so much more.

From there, we got to take Edwin and Edwina with us to our next visit with Abigail. Abigail lives in a different area of Accra, so they got to travel across town with us. We were informed as we got in the car that these sweet ones had never been in a car before, or traveled across Accra. That blew my mind, as I think about how often we are in and out of the car in America.

Of course, the car ended up being quite a part of our Compassion story. We were traveling with Lydia and Michael from Compassion, and had a taxi driver who waited at each place with us. We stopped for Cokes at a gas station, and came out to find the cab driver with the hood up. The car was not working.

As much as that inconvenienced our plans, I am very glad it happened. Until then, Edwin and Edwina had stayed pretty quiet, not speaking or smiling unless we talked to them. But, at the gas station, I was able to play with them some while we waited, and they seemed to open up. {Of course, I’m sure that the two huge packages of cookies, Pringles, and cokes helped them open up a bit too!}

After we took some silly pictures, and learned some silly hand games, it was time to find a new cab driver and get on with our day.

As we drove across town to finally meet Abigail, both of the children crashed in the car. Of course, there is nothing better than holding a precious sleeping child, especially one who I know now has a full tummy and a happy heart. I was in heaven. :)

Next stop was the Compassion program at Abigail’s church. Again, we received the royal treatment. Welcoming hugs, blessings on our family through beautiful prayers, and another wonderful gift. This time, we received yardage of African fabric! {I can’t wait to make ragdolls or maybe papooses for my girls, and our new baby with it!}

Just like the first center, we were given an overview of their program, and got to see Abigail’s file. We are her second sponsor, since her first sponsor stopped supporting her. The program director told us that Abigail was crushed when she heard that she was no longer being sponsored, and then was extremely grateful when she heard we had committed to her. That made our visit even more meaningful to us.

As we left the center and arrived at her school, the children were already on their way home that day. We got to hug Abigail and her sister right away, and enjoyed seeing how beautiful and tall she was in person. She was very shy and very polite. Even with her hesitation, she was smiling and happy. And, told us she had waited all day to meet us. :)

We went right to her home, which was a bit larger than Edwina’s, but still very basic and small for a family of seven. Her mother and five siblings live with her, and were all so incredibly sweet. All of the neighbors and their children joined us, as we shared our gifts with Abigail.

Every time Abigail opened something we brought, the whole family broke out in cheers, claps, and “Oh, God Bless You!” Even Abigail, said “God Bless You” every time we handed her something new. She was so thankful and so careful with each and every thing. It was amazing to think that she had never received so much at one time. And, sickening at the same time, to think of the excess we live with and how normal it is for my kids to receive a new toothbrush or a new shirt.

After a while, the family presented us a gift and once again, I was humbled and honored that a family who has next to nothing would provide something for us! We received a beautiful Ghanaian scarf, which we modeled in all the family pictures after that!

We said goodbye to her sweet family, and took Abigail, Edwin, and Edwina out to dinner. Their pictures do not express even an ounce of their excitement to be in a restaurant and to have so much food put before them. They all ate about half of it, and took home the rest. We gave them extra drinks and some other goodies for their families, and you would have thought they had been given the world.

During dinner, we got to have a lot more conversation with each of the children, and they were so precious to listen to. Abigail told us about her aspirations to be a nurse someday, because when she had malaria last year, the nurses had taken good care of her.

Edwina and Edwin played soccer with bottlecaps, and took home a pocket full to play later with their friends.

There were just so many wonderful moments spent with these kids. I couldn’t express all the stories and sweet moments if I tried. But, overall, it was one of the best days ever.

To give to these children, to hug them and love them and encourage them was one of the biggest blessings I have ever received. And, we can’t wait to see them again on our next trip!

After we dropped them all off at home, I cried as we headed home. I was overwhelmed by the goodness of the day, even amongst the poverty and heartache of their lives. But, I was also overwhelmed with two things: how do I tell others well enough, and what else do I do now that I know?

So, here I am telling you about it, though probably not well enough. And, I am determined to do more to help these families, and to encourage these children.

A couple of thoughts:

During the course of our visit at Abigail’s center, we were told that this was only the second sponsor visit they had received at this center in over five years. I was very surprised. I thought for sure other children receive visits from sponsors, but we learned today that not only do many never receive visits, but many also do not receive letters.

This broke my heart, and definitely encouraged me to be even better at writing my children in Ghana. I realize now how much they wait and rejoice over a letter from their sponsors. And, conversely, I see how crushed they must be when they are not one of the lucky ones who receive a letter. When Mark asked the coordinator what we can do to help these children receive letters, she so graciously responded, “Oh, we understand, Mark. We understand that Americans are busy. It is okay.”

No. That’s not okay. We are not too busy to write a 5 minute letter that will CHANGE a child’s life. How dare we think that our to-do list is more important than blessing a family across the world who lives in a storage shed….who has no possessions to call their own, but who produced a small bag of our family’s letters and photos from their bed while we were visiting.

Edwina’s family had every single one of our letters. They have nothing. But, they had our letters. I can’t believe I’ve been selfish enough to think that those letters can wait until I have more time to write.

I’m now making the time. It’s so important.

And, now that I’ve seen these faces, I can not forget.

8 comments:

Cortni said...

Oh I love this!! It makes me want to hop on a plane and go visit our children! I am so glad you were able to spend so much time with them! God's fingerprints are just so vivid!! Before you knew you would be in Ghana, He gave you sponsor children there. Now, as you continue to go...you will have relationships with them. Incredible! What a blessing to you and to them! Love you so much sister!

Ashley S said...

You bring so many tears to my eyes as I read this. Thank you thank you for sharing your joy. Hold on to
this feeling, Chelsea, as it is so easy to forget once you get back to America. I've been to Honduras three times and I still forget how amazing and faithful the people are that have nothing. Thank you for reminding me that true joy only comes from hope in the Lord. I should learn a few lessons from your new friends in Ghana. I needed this tonight! Thanks again and safe travels!

Ashley Ebrom said...

I tried so hard to keep from crying while reading your words. It's not possible. God is so good, and I know this time will be so special to the sweet ones in Africa that your family sponsors. I agree with Cortni. It makes me want to come join you. God bless you for allowing God to break your hearts. Safe travels to you!

leslie said...

Tears are seriously streaming. It is so beautiful the things you and Mark are experiencing right now. Thank you so much for taking the time to share it with all of us!

Mary said...

It is gluttonous, the way in which we live, and yet we complain that we have so little! Thank you for the reminder!

jamie said...

what a beautiful story, chelsea. i know you must have struggled to put your experiences into words because i'm struggling to put my thoughts into words and i wasn't even there! i wish there was some way to bottle up the emotions and experiences of that day so that you could take them out and enjoy them again and again. i am so happy you got to experience your children in person - and i'm so sad that so many other children never hear from, much less meet, their sponsors. thank you for taking us on your journey through you blog and facebook!
- jamie mccurry

Sarah P said...

Chelsea, thank you so much for pouring this out for us to read. I had heard so much about Compassion over the years, but I'm embarrassed to admit how cynical I am. I just was unsure if it was the real deal. You've convinced me and today we just signed up to support our first kid. We're doing it as a group with our church small group and I can only imagine the impact it will have on us and our kids. Thank you for being His servant. What a blessing you are!

JD said...

God led me to this post somehow, and I'm grateful for it. I have been a Compassion sponsor since 2005, and 2010 saw our sponsorships grow from 3 to 10. I was blessed with the opportunity to join Compassion on an Advocate tour to Honduras in June-July of this past year, and your post brought back SO many memories of what I experienced. Thank you for finding the words to share, and for the message of how important it is to write to our children -- it really does make a difference. We heard the same message throughout our trip -- it's devastating when the sponsors do not take the time to write.

I especially appreciated this post, as I am planning a trip to Africa in 2011, and I most want to meet one of our African sponsored children, he also lives in Ghana. I cried through your post -- my heart is bursting with eagerness to meet my Compassion son and his family.