Image Map

Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Three Months...


It's 2:25 a.m. and Mark just fell asleep. We have been up for hours talking, crying, and praying over our life as we now know it.

This marker of three months caught us by surprise.

And, I'm exhausted.

I'm too exhausted to write intelligibly, finding just the right words to describe the way I feel three months later.

I'm tired already of the milestones we endure, knowing we have a lifetime of them left. I love celebrating milestones for my kids, and it makes me sad that instead of marking Chase's first roll or laugh at three months, I'm marking the third month of him not being here like we thought.

I desperately want time to slow down and give me time to figure it all out. And, at the same time, I want to be done with all the "firsts" that keep looming in front of us.

Then again, I can't believe all the firsts we've already walked through that I never thought I could.

Our first holidays without him. Our first three months of anniversaries of the day we said hello--and goodbye--to our son. The first time I held another baby in my arms. The first day I didn't cry. The first time I tried to comfort someone else in my shoes, only to be without the words to do it. The first time I lost track of how many weeks it had been without him.

My thoughts are obviously scattered, but that's where I am tonight. Bouncing once again from high to low, without warning. So, I guess I am inviting you to bounce along with me if you don't mind. :)

My "mom" heart is heavy. Earlier this evening, I was making a list of scripture to pray over my children, because we have been seeing some behavior in all of them (and in us as parents) that concern us. And, as I sat there reading some of my favorite books, and looking up scripture, I felt God whisper to me: "Chelsea, they have lost their brother. They are hurting too."

Kendyll is a compassionate, kind, generous, and passionate child. And, she just seems to be "on edge" and distant one minute, overly emotional the next. And, craving time with us the moment after that. She talks about Chase all the time, and seems to notice the things that we're not getting to do with him more than anything else. And, I know this is totally normal.

Carlie has so many questions and so many precious thoughts about her brother. I can literally sense that she is thinking about him all the time. And, that she loves him so deeply even though she never knew him. She sings about him, prays about him...and this is normal too.

Abby Kate has been fascinated and has instantly fallen in love with her new cousin, Eli. If he is around, she is drawn to him and his tiny parts. She can't help but touch his head and say his sweet name again and again. She was meant to be a big sister.

All three of them seem to be breaking my heart. And, I've told God how much I desperately need His guidance as we parent them through this time.

We want to do this right. We want to point them to the One who holds all of this in His loving and capable hands. And, I'm afraid we fail at this more times than we would like to admit. But, that is one of my biggest fears...that I will look back and regret something I did or didn't do with them as they grieve. And, because God knows this about me, I know that His power WILL be made perfect in my weakness. I'm completely trusting that. His mercies are new every morning.

We are also struggling with big decisions of what to do from here with our sweet boy. We have waited purposely to make the right decision on where and how to honor him and his sweet body...and we feel like now it's time. Will you please pray for us as we decide what is best for our family? As of tonight, we have completely changed our minds again...we so need His guiding hand in this too.

I've mentioned before my struggle with grieving publicly like this, and I still question it. I don't want to feel like I have to grieve the right way so that I honor Chase enough. Or feel like I need to explain how I can have such joy and sorrow at the same time. I don't want to have to help people understand. I just want to be me.

I just want to be a good wife and mom who loves her husband and daughters who are here with me, and my son who is not. And, who honors her God who has perfectly planned each day of this little mom and wife's life.

I want to know the future. I want to see what He has planned for us. We're hearing Him speak in huge ways (more about this later), but my heart is wavering. Will we adopt? Will we get pregnant again? Will He use us in ways that don't include more of our own children? If so, I can't imagine that right now.

I KNOW without a DOUBT that He will bring beauty from ashes, that He will redeem what has been lost, and that He will--and already has--perform miracles for HIS glory in all of this. And for now, He tells me to trust Him, even though the future is unclear. He gently calls me to lay my plans down before Him...again. To surrender fully and to watch Him bless our lives in ways we could never have imagined.
Oh, how we want all of that and more, Lord! And, oh how we love the son you allowed us to have even for a moment. We long to honor his life, to celebrate his impact on our family and our world, and to glorify You, Father, even as you hold Chase in your loving arms today. Guide us, Lord. We desperately need to see Your way. And, to be led again today through the ups and downs of this road we are on. We love you and we surrender to Your plan for us, for we know we will see Your hand in this. "It will take our breath away to see the beauty that's been made out of the ashes..."

The Desert Song

This is my prayer in the desert
And all that's within me feels dry
This is my prayer in the hunger in me
My God is a God who provides

And this is my prayer in the fire
In weakness or trial or pain
There is a faith proved
Of more worth than gold
So refine me Lord through the flames

And I will bring praise
I will bring praise
No weapon forged against me shall remain

I will rejoice
I will declare
God is my victory and He is here

And this is my prayer in the battle
And triumph is still on it's way
I am a conqueror and co-heir with Christ
So firm on His promise I'll stand

All of my life
In every season
You are still God
I have a reason to sing
I have a reason to worship

This is my prayer in the harvest
When favor and providence flow
I know I'm filled to be empited again
The seed I've received I will sow

Happy Three Months in heaven, Chase. We love you and we miss you.

17 comments:

Rebekah said...

Chelsea - You, Mark, the girls and Chase are in my thoughts as you mark this day - three months since you met your sweet baby boy. I will be praying for you.
You and Mark are such incredible parents and your girls are so sweet. James and Henry are still talking about them and are wondering when they can see them again. : ) I can't imagine the burden you feel in trying to guide them through their grief, but I know that you and Mark will do right by them. Your whole family is an inspiration.
I wish I could have gotten more of a chance to talk to you when we were in town, but it was kind of a whirlwind, with lots of kiddos around.
I know you have an amazingly supportive husband and family, as well as in incredible faith in God, but if you ever need it, I'm always available to you.
God bless you today, and all the days that will follow. Chase is honored and remembered in our hearts every day.
Love,
Becky

Alli said...

Chelsea,
Though your thoughts may seem scattered to you, to me you express them beautifully. It gives us all a glimpse into this journey of yours. I can't begin to understand all that you've been through or are feeling, but I thank you for letting us grieve alongside you. I have been & will be praying for you & your sweet family.

Jennifer K said...

Your words are so honest and real and like Alli said, it allows us a glimpse into your day. Thank you for sharing your heart. We will be praying specifically for your family today and for their individual needs. We love you and yours.

Paige said...

Praying...

Brandi said...

Thank you for sharing your journery with us. I know your thoughts are scattered for you but they are perfectly said. I have been thinking and praying for your family for the past few months. I can't imagine the journey you are on. Sending lots of love your way!!!

Michael Ann said...

Chelsea and Mark,
I sit here in tears reading your heartfelt words. I don't even know what to say, but that we pray for peace, wisdom, and comfort to your aching souls today. Your faith in this is so touching and increases everyone's faith around you who witnesses your walk through this trial. I wish for anything that this was all a nightmare and you will wake up. I know God has an awesome plan for you and your girls. A plan that is so perfect, no human mind can conceive it right now. I'll pray that His plan be revealed and for patience in the meantime and continued faith and hope. We love you all and are thinking and praying for you.

Cassie said...

You are amazing. Truly.

I am so appreciative of your open heart--not just with us that know you so well, but with others who God has and will lead to you for encouragement. You have an amazing way of inviting God to work in your chaos AND your calm...and I think people are drawn to Him because of you.

I also appreciate that you understand your role as His vessel. Whether carrying and nurturing Chase for 34 wonderful weeks or raising 3 girls (and eventually women) who love their Maker and serve Him faithfully--you fully embrace that His glory is greater than your plan. I often brag to people (I'm your sister so I can do that:) about how intentional you are as a mother, wife and woman. And I believe that is a large part of the reason God is planting HUGE seeds in your heart for incredible Kingdom work across the world.

I miss Chase more now than I ever thought I could--but I can't begin to imagine your heartache as his mother. But know that God is using you, Chase, Mark and the girls to reveal more of Himself to all of us...and I am eternally grateful for that!

Love you, Sister. And sorry for the forever long comment:)

Kelly said...

You have no need to apologize. Your grief process seems to me to be so healthy and so inspiring. I wish more would allow their grief to be seen and used to comfort others like you are doing.

It's nowhere near the same situation you have gone through, but after our miscarriage before Tate, I couldn't help but think of all of the milestones. That went on for a good year and then some. I still think of that baby two days of the year, when we found out we lost it and the due date.

Be encouraged that your grief process is yours and there's no right or wrong way. What you are doing is honest and real. I and many others appreciate that beyond words, my friend!

angie c said...

My heart is breaking with you. Love you so much.

Kristen OQ said...

I thought about you today on this anniversary and know that you, Mark, and the girls have been prayed over. After reading your blog, now I know more specifically what to pray for as each of you go through your grief.

Thinking of you, friend.

Pearson Family said...

Sweet Chelsea. I ache for you and your family. I am also comforted in your faith and have peace that God will guide you in all aspects mentioned. Prayers will be lifted.

Amy said...

hi sweet girl! i thought about you so much today. thanks for letting us know what specifically to pray for. we are praying.

Erica said...

Sweet Chelsea,
Your friendship is so precious to me and I have been holding you and Mark along with the girls and Chase in my heart for many days now. Your faith and ability to express your feelings is such a gift to so many. Our prayers are with you constantly along this journey, you are never alone. I know that God has an amazing plan for each of you going forward. We have all seen His hand in the sponsorship of children by others as well as the way we are all trying to be more mindful of the bigger picture in life. Praying for you to have peace with all the emotions you are feeling, patience to wait for God's plan to be revealed, and continued growth in your walk with the Lord. We love each of you so much.

Ann Williams said...

Chelsea,
Thank you for your honesty in the midst of your grief. Grief is funny that way - so unpredictable, but there is no right or wrong way to go through it and it is so wonderful that you are allowing your girls to grieve too and helping them along the way, each one with her own needs. That must be so hard as you face your own hurts.
Isn't it amazing how deep the joy can be while in the midst of great sorrow? I always thought I was so fortunate to not have experienced great loss until I did and then I realized how blessed I was to walk through the valley. As hard as it is, especially when it seems neverending, God really shows up in ways you don't get to experience when you are on the mountaintop. Really He is there all along, but He gives your heart a new vulnerability and tenderness to experience Him and His love in a new way.

Blessings and prayers to you, Mark and the girls. I love you all!

Ann Williams

Mary said...

Oh Chelsea, I know how your heart must be struggling. It is such a daily battle to know deep sorrow and overwhelming joy together. To see all that God has done, and somehow, all He has left undone.

We too have been experiencing a different side of grief, months after we thought we would. The death of our little ones causes so much to change, so many decisions to make. And when forced to think these decisions through, grief once again becomes real and deep. And you are reminded again, "these are not decisions we would have to make if..."

You are right to let the disapointment come and, in a sense, embrace it. We are not better Christians if we ignore grief and cover it up with phrases about how wonderful the joy of the Lord is. Part of being a Christian is to understand just how BROKEN this world is. It reminds us to look forward to a world eternal, and to cling to our Lord who strengthens us to live in this painful place.

I keep reminding myself that knowing deep sorrow and deep joy is the essence of Christianity! Jesus felt it in the garden, and God felt it at the cross.

So please, never apologize to us about feeling down, sad, or confused. This grief journey is the path God has chosen for you, and your family, and yes, even for your girls. And although it will never be easy, He will walk with you, and with them.

Praying for you today, especially through the late nights. They have a way of pushing the bussyness of the day aside, and let us see our hearts.

jaime s said...

Thank you for continuing to trust us with your "real" feelings. Praying for you over and over! Amazed by your strength and your ability to communicate so beautifully!

Mr. and Mrs. Smith said...

You are an amazing woman with an amazing way of putting your thoughts and feelings into words to share with us. I appreciate that. Here's to 2010.

Kristi